So yeah my Lost idea really didn't turn out, in fact, I'm not even going to show those in class they really are of me just driving, and we were out in the boonies, I know we went off the beaten track. We switched at a dead end of a road, so i'm driving and no joke like two intersections later I found highway 14, I wasn't lost because I knew that 14 goes right to Memphis. I like the idea of exploring "Lost" as a concept, more because it a really hard subject. So tonight I'm going to be doing deep down ipc style digging to try to generate a cohesive concept at class. Ad the reason I'm exploring this instead of the Bruce Gelden thing is because it just doesn't excite me, it's boring as a concept, I'm not saying it is easy to pull off because it's not. I just don't want to do something just because it something, I really want to do something that is personal to me and that I feel important. Yeah so I'm going to rant and rave this may be a long post to but, sometimes writing it out can generate ideas. so at the start it is hard for me to get lost, I just have a good sense of direction. I can always remember directions if I've been some where once, no joke, if I've been there before, I can find my way with out any help. Now that being said I do hate being lost, but I think my hate for becoming lost has made me have a good sense of direction so I don't ever feel lost. In fact I was thinking probably in the last five years I've only been lost once real bad, and it was a super freak out when it happened. And I have deconstructed the event to see if there was a way to recreate the satiation, the first was a time factor, I needed to be at a place at a cretin time, the second is I need to be there for a good reason, if it's not I'm liable to not worry about it. Third never having been there before, again because I really do remember directions, and last I had been given bad directions on how to get to the place I was going to. Another event that has stuck with me and has led me to be this way is when I was in kindergarten I was placed on the wrong bus home, and this is a sign of how things have changed, because I remember the bus driver at the last stop on her rout, telling me, this is the last stop you need to get off, even though I told her this wasn't my stop. I remember being scared, and not knowing what to do, but a mom at the stop took me inside called the school and my teacher at the time came and picked me up and took me home. I can say that my ability to not get lost has to stem from this one event, but I'm not sure how to explore it. I was thinking about the idea of "Lost Identity" but I'm only luke warm about that idea, it has potential, because I think there is something I could do with that, I just need to think of a way to make it performance based. Now the project I'd like to do and only because it is the only thing I can think of doing on the idea of "becoming lost" is no joke going to the middle of nowhere and wondering for days in the wilderness, but never being find my way. Now that being said did find an artist who does some cool work along the same idea as what i want to explore, and he has taking the approach of lost self identity, and I'm actually going to include his artist statement here.
I value the humour present in the gravity of phenomenological encounters. I often find myself lost within experiences, overwhelmed by the multiple interpretations of urban spaces that are also relative and fluid with time. I see my practice as an artist to be parallel to that of an alchemist who gathers different elements, and through transmutation produces deliberate, yet surprising interventions. It is in this process that the sense and pleasure of being lost is negotiated with the ideals and accomplishment of being found. Conflicted by this slippery nature of consciousness where one state obliterates the essence of the other, I engage in comedy to cope and translate this precarious situation in my artwork through painting and different modes of photography. My practice offers a stimulated perspective of urban living that is invested in the satirical and sublime.


Also do Asian artist just have a fascination with boxes? Also his website Here.
No comments:
Post a Comment