Thursday, September 15, 2011

Mark Menjivar

Mark Menjivar works in the vain of documentary photography, but In his You are What You Eat project he spent three years travailing around the US and examining differnt food issues and eating related stories. What came out of it were portraits of refrigerators as they were, as like this for the uncontrolled aspect of what he is photographing because he isn't changing anything about what e is showing but the tell something about the person it belongs to. I highly recommend checking out his website I was really impressed with the photographs, but i'm not going to show all of his images because there are a lot, but these were a selected few I found interesting.

The fridge above belonged to a person living on fixed income.


This fridge belonged to someone who sleeps between 8am to 4pm, there is something about all the to go boxes that kind of makes me sick, and when I say sick I mean nauseous. I think it is because you can tell that that is all this person eats, but I can only stomach fast food only once in a while.

It is no surprising that this fridge belonged to a guy that lived in Texas and the meat is from a buck he shot on his own property.


This fridge belonged to a family of four that had just begun a local produce only diet the week before.

What I think is so great about this series is that you don't need to do something totally complicated to get a beautiful set of images that are spontaneous and free of control of the photographer, now he is editing what he is showing the viewer as far as images go, but that something all together.

One more just because I finished looking through the entire gallery, and saw this image that belonged to someone with type two diabetes, but also I could recognized everything in this fridge as something sold by Costco.


No comments:

Post a Comment